Family in Ministry
Your families also feel incredible pressure because there is a lot of pressure in the ministry.
It takes a lot of your time. Most pastors work between 55 and 75 hours a week. Its time taken away from the family. They also make sacrifices so that you can be in ministry.
1 Timothy 3:15 NLT so that if I can’t come for a while, you will know how people must conduct themselves in the household of God. This is the church of the living God, which is the pillar and support of the truth.
Remember, your first ministry should be to your family. Do not ever forget that. Many pastors’ children often fall away because they have seen and experienced the downside of ministry; being neglected by their parents who are so busy with ministry. We must always make sure that we have time for our wives or husbands and children.
Completing the Race
2 Timothy 4:7 NLT I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
You have about a 10% chance of retiring as a pastor. 90% of people who go into ministry never complete the course. So, if you reach that time you will be one out of 10. We need to trust in God always. If we do not know what He is saying, we will rely on our own limited abilities and fall short. We must persevere, fulfilling what God has called us to no matter what happens.
There is a saying that when things get tough, the tough get going. Most leaders get discouraged because they do not have any way to work through their frustrations. Mentally, physically, and spiritually you are pushed to your limits. It is very important to have down time. It is good to take a break from what you are doing; go for a walk in the bush, walk on the beach, spend time with family and friends. We need to exercise, relate to others, and have downtime. It is vitally important. Remember, even God rested on the seventh day.
We need to have fun. Life is not all about work and ministry. Yes, ministry is exhilarating and the most amazing experience, but that should not be the centre of everything. Jesus Christ should be the centre of our lives. Many people in ministry lose sight of Him. It is all about Him, all about Jesus and what Jesus did for us. It is also all about just loving and caring for each other.